There is a reason why you rarely see me eating at a pub. Have you ever seen the menu?
Sure, some of the humble pub grub has the potential to be fantastic but most of the time it’s ill prepared. The usual suspects are pies, jacket potatoes and sandwiches. Can you sense my excitement? Neither can I. When I see the standard fillings like ham, cheese and Prawn Mayo I want to pull my hair out, scream and run in the opposite direction. These options are very safe for the non-adventurous but what happened to the little thing called imagination?
However, someone just has to whisper one word seductively in my ear and my head will whip around and I will smile so broadly as if one million bucks has just been added to my bank account. Avocado. Now we are talking! Suddenly the sandwich is the most appealing item on the menu. Considered and used as “butter” in African countries it is fluffy but rich, light yet filling. It is super-healthy and crammed with omega-3 oils. It jazzes up even the most boring sandwich on this planet and is purely addictive.
Of course I am completely biased. An avo-filled sandwich is the best kind you can get and you can chop and change the ingredients that go with it. It is difficult to get it wrong.
Download and/or print the recipe! Click HERE.
Bacon and Avocado Sandwich
Preparation: 10 mins – Cooking Time: None
- 2 slices of whole meal bread
- fruit jam [optional]
- ½ avocado, peeled and mashed
- 2 rashers of bacon, cooked and sliced
- Smear one slice of bread with your favourite fruit jam, e.g. black cherry. Otherwise simply butter it.
- On the same piece of bread, spread out the sliced bacon evenly.
- Spoon the mashed avocado on the other slice, spread evenly and season to taste.
- Place the avocado slice of bread on top of the bacon one, halve or quarter the sandwich and enjoy!
If you are too lazy to cook some bacon first, ham is a great alternative. When you have leftover slices of roast lamb in the fridge, forget the bacon and use the lamb instead because this sandwich is simply beautiful.