This dish is very nourishing and filling. If you can’t be bothered to make up the sauce, simply use ready made teriyaki available at most supermarkets. Since I prefer my broccoli a bit more cooked, I fry it for a bit longer, but if you prefer yours to have a bit more crunch just reduce the cooking time to one or two minutes. With so many food blog events going on, it is difficult to keep up! This month’s theme for the CLICK event is noodles and since the folks over there are mainly vegetarian this recipe will fit in just nicely. The weekly Presto Pasta event accepts noodle dishes as well, I’ll be submitting this recipe too.
Broccoli, Mushroom and Cashew Noodle Stirfry
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
Total 30 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 350g (12 oz) egg noodles
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into 1cm/½ inch florets
- 500g (1lb 2 oz) mushrooms
- 60ml (4 tbsp) dark soy
- 60ml (4 tbsp) mirin
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- 1 small fresh chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 100g cashews, raw or toasted
- salt and pepper
- Cook the noodles in salted, boiling water, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok until hot. Throw in the broccoli florets and sauté for 5 minutes, adding a drop of water if necessary.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, mirin and sugar, stir briskly, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cashews and noodles. Make sure the noodles are well coated with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12.7g
Saturated Fat 2.4g
Total Carbohydrates 62.2g
Dietary Fiber 3.8g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.