In the previous post we simply baked it whole with some butter and herbs but there are plenty of other ways to cook tilapia.
How To Cook Tilapia
Thanks to the firm texture and mild flavour of tilapia, this fish can be cooked in the following different ways:
Recipe Ideas for Tilapia
Tilapia can be cooked in or served with the following:
- Spicy marinades and rubs
- Sauces – creamy or spicy, e.g. Thai Coconut-Curry Sauce
- Subtle seasonings – e.g. lemon and garlic
- Crusted – cornmeal, almond and pecans are common ingredients used for a crust
- Soups – like creamy corn chowder
- Stews – for example, spicy seafood stew
- Salsas – fruity salsas such as mango
Ingredients, herbs and spices that pair well with Tilapia
But above all else, this peanut-crusted recipe is my favourite!
Download and/or print the recipe! Click HERE.
Tilapia with a Peanut Crust and Chinese Dressing
Published: 6 December 2011
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Weight Watchers Recipe: 42 ProPoints, Per Serving: 10 ProPoints
Serving size: 178.6g, Calories per serving: 347, Fat per serving: 7g
20ml (4 tsp) peanut butter
15ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
5ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
15ml (1 tbsp) finely chopped onion
50g (2 oz) salted peanuts, chopped
80ml (1/3 cup) dried breadcrumbs
4 tilapia fillets
15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
15ml (1 tbsp) butter
30ml (2 tbsp) oyster sauce
15ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
15ml (1 tbsp) sweet sherry
15ml (1 tbsp) rice wine vinegar
5ml (1 tsp) sugar
5ml (1 tsp) dried chili flakes
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger and onion until very smooth.
- Mix the chopped nuts and breadcrumbs together on a plate.
- Season the cod with salt and pepper. Dip one side of each fillet into the peanut paste and then into the crumb mixture.
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan until the butter foams, then add the fish fillets, crumb side down.
- Cook over moderate heat for about 4 minutes or until the crumbs are golden brown.
- Carefully turn the fish over and cook for about 5 minutes, depending on how thick it is.
- Stir together all the ingredients of the sauce.
- Serve immediately with some coriander leaves and sauce drizzled on top.
- Serve with rice.
- Any firm white fish can be used instead of tilapia, e.g. cod or haddock.
Other tilapia recipes:
- Jeanne baked hers whole.