Like most men Neil regards salads as fluffy, bunny food and I can’t say I disagree. Our main issue with most of them are that you are starving half an hour later after getting up from the table. This problem has been solved by adding protein and starch to the leaves. Breakfast Salad is my other name for this dish. It’s got eggs, bacon and potatoes without all the grease and some greens with vitamin goodies. On a warm summer’s day this is perfect for al-fresco dining.
Egg, Bacon & New Potato Salad
Preparation: 10 mins – Cooking: 15 mins
- 800g (2 lb) new potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 8 rashers bacon, about 250g (½ lb)
- 1 big bunch of salad leaves (of your choice), weighing at least 200g
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 120ml (½ cup/4 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml (¼ cup/2 fl oz) red wine vinegar
- Wash the new potatoes well by rubbing off the skins with a coarse cloth. Put them into a saucepan of boiling salted water. [For every 2½ litres (4 pints) of water add 5ml (1 tsp) of salt.] Boil until tender.[You can test them by using a fork. Their cooking time can be anything from 15 minutes to half an hour; it really depends on their size.] Drain, put the saucepan over a very low heat, with the lid partially uncovered, to allow the steam to escape and allow the potatoes get thoroughly dry, but do not allow them to get burnt. Their excess moisture will evaporate and the potatoes, if a good sort, should be perfectly mealy and dry. Put them to one side and wait for them to cool down. Depending on their size cut them into halves, otherwise quarters.
- Cook the eggs in simmering salted water for 8 minutes, cool and peel. Put each egg through and egg-slicer, or simply cut each egg into 8 wedges.
- Grill the bacon until crisp and golden. Alternatively, you can fry the bacon in a non-stick fry pan, and drain off the fat. Wait for it to cool down. Using scissors cut the bacon into 1cm (½ inch) strips.
- Wash the salad leaves thoroughly, pat them dry and place them in a big salad bowl.
- Make the dressing by combining the vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until the mixture thickens. Drizzle it over the leaves, add the potatoes, eggs and bacon, toss and serve.