Other than mentioning it fleetingly in a couple of posts, I’ve remained mum about my diet and progress. Having tried all the famous crash diets like the Bread & Butter Diet, Russian Air Force Diet and Atkins, Weight Watchers was the only one that worked for me years ago and has again. Since March I’ve been dieting on and off with much success. So how much have I lost?
More or less 10kg (1½ stone), which means I’ve almost reached my pre-Gabriel weight. That doesn’t mean I will stop though. My next target is to reach a healthy BMI range and who knows how long it will take. This salad is just one of the many vegetarian meals I enjoy during the day.
Potato, Green Bean & Chili Salad
Preparation: 5 mins – Cooking: 20 mins
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: 3½
- 400g (1 lb) baby new potatoes, halved
- 160g (5½ oz) green beans, trimmed and halved diagonally
- 2 red chilis, deseeded and sliced thinly
- 60ml (4 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- Put the potatoes in a large pot of gently simmering water and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil, add the beans and blanch for 2-3 minutes, or until bright green and just tender. Drain, refresh under cold water, then drain again. Put in a serving bowl with the potatoes.
- Whisk the oil and vinegar together and drizzle evenly over the salad.
- If you have a lazy streak like me, add the beans to the potato pot near the end of the potatoes’ cooking time. That way you have one less pot to wash.
- For those of you, who are frightened of chilis, use bell peppers/capsicums instead.