- 450g (1lb) dried butter beans
- 1.3l (2 pts) water
- few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 150g (5oz) sofrito
- 200g (7oz) tomato passata
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 75ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
- 20g (1oz) flat parsley, chopped
- 10g (1/2oz) fresh basil, chopped
- 2.5ml (1/2tsp) ground black pepper
- Soak beans in water overnight
- Drain the beans the next day and place in a large pot with 1.3 litre of fresh water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Once they have come to the boil and you have skimmed off the scum, add the sofrito and the salt. Top up with water if necessary.
- When the beans are almost cooked add the tomato passata and cook on low heat, simmering for another 20 minutes or until beans are soft. Stir frequently.
- Allow to cool a little then add the chopped parsley, basil, pepper and olive oil.
- Serve in large casserole dish finished with ladolemo and herb garnish.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Greek
- Calories: 465
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 521 mg
- Fat: 15.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.5 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 14.7 g