- 6 lemons, organic preferable
- 125ml (½ cup) salt
- 125ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 1l (2 pt) canning jar, sterilised
- Soak the lemons in water and scrub thoroughly to remove dirt and pesticides.
- Trim the nubs off both ends of each lemon. Quarter each lemon, slicing them down just over ¾ of the way to leave the slices attached at the end.
- Cover the exposed flesh with salt, then reshape the fruit.
- Place the fruit in the jar, squeezing in as many as possible. I managed to get 6 into a 1 litre (2 pint) container.
- Screw the lid on and leave overnight.
- The following day, add the olive oil and seal, leaving for one month.
- After one month the lemons will be ready to use but the longer they’re left the better because they become more fragrant with time.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 1939 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.4 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g