Yay! I’ve been tagged for a meme the first time by Erika from Bean’s Bistro. Thanks! Okay, I have to apologise for being terrible and not updating my About page. Hopefully soon I’ll get around to it but for now answers below will give you a bit of a clue about me. Before I forget, I’m tagging Mochachocolata Rita, Patricia from Technicolor Kitchen, Gretchen from Canela & Comino, Kevin from Closet Cooking and Rebecca at From Argentina With Love. Want to know more about me? I dare you to read further…
What were you doing 10 years ago?
In 1998 at the age of 16 I entered university, studied BSc Computer Science and hated every minute of it. Let’s just say I’m glad I finished the course and don’t want to go back unless it’s a different field.
What were you doing 1 year ago?
At the time I was 8 months pregnant, so basically waiting for Gabriel to arrive. For all the pregnant women out there, I’m sorry to tell you all those techniques to try and give birth sooner don’t work! While I was waiting, I was designing and planning Greedy Gourmet.
5 snacks you enjoy
- Lychees/Litchis – This is one fruit I miss in the UK. The ones that do arrive in the exotic fruit section of supermarkets are in a pathetic state; definitely not worth eating as well as atrociously expensive.
- Chocolate, chocolate and chocolate.
- Goat cheese, sun dried tomato and walnut sandwich
- Dried mango
- Buttered vegetables, e.g. brussels sprouts dabbed with butter or leeks fried in butter. Yes, I know I’m weird.
5 Things I would do if I was a millionaire
- Invest in property, so that I have a monthly income. Of course, get a bigger house without a mortgage, plus the interior decorating will be fun.
- Study photography.
- Go to cookery school.
- Neil can retire and look after the kiddies while I start and run a business.
- Go on overseas holidays, see the world and live in luxurious 5-star hotels and at Michelin-starred restaurants.
That’s not too much to ask, is it???
5 things you would never wear again
Not being a fashion victim I can’t think of anything. I’m probably Trinny & Sussanah’s (from What Not To Wear) worst nightmare. Since my wedding, which was 6 years ago, I never wore high heeled shoes again because I never needed or wanted to. For some reason old ladies, like my mother-in-law, keep giving me some of their clothes. I refuse to think too hard about why, so let’s keep it at that. (P.S. I do wear some of them…)
5 Favourite Kitchen Toys
- Hand Blender – This gadget gets used the most in my kitchen, whether it’s making pureed food for Gabriel or making smooth, warming soups all year round.
- Oven – After the last oven broke late last year I’ve been sitting without one. It was a challenge living without it, but last Monday I got a new, sexy Bosch one.
- Gas Stove – When I came to England I knew nothing about gas. I have this strange belief that if I don’t know how something works, there is a great possibility that it will explode. At first I stood miles away from the stove, peeking around a corner, watching how Neil lit it. After a few weeks I got the guts to stir things around in pans and after a few more I finally lit my first hob. Now I love my stove and refuse to cook on an electric one. In January I went back to South Africa for a visit and was at first really excited about cooking with the ingredients I grew up with but one look at my mother’s electric stove put me off and instead I enjoyed the rest of my holiday.
- Dishwasher – With the amount of dirty dishes I can rack up in a day, I just can’t live without it.
- Kitchen Aid – After having nagged Neil months if not years, I finally got one for our anniversary a few weeks ago. Haven’t had much time to play with it yet, but I’m sure I’ll love it.