Did you get hungry looking at the cherry Bakewell cake recipe? Being a light and fresh cake, it is best enjoyed with some fresh picota cherries on top.
- 200g (7oz) butter
- 200g (7oz) golden caster sugar
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 100g (3½oz) almond flour
- 100g (3½oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 340g (11oz) cherry jam
- 125ml (½ cup) double cream
- 30ml (2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 250g (8oz) Picota cherries, washed, pitted and halved
- 180g (6oz) icing sugar
- 60ml (4 tbsp) lemon juice
- 60ml (4 tbsp) toasted, flaked almonds
- Cherries, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Butter and line the bases of 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and golden caster sugar together in an electric mixer until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the almond extract and eggs and mix until well incorporated.
- Slowly pour in the ground almonds, baking powder and flour until the the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two tins and bake for 30 minutes until golden and springy.
- Cool the sponges on a wire rack.
- Whip the cream with the caster sugar until soft peaks form.
- Stir the cherries in with the cream and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut each sponge cake in half, which will now give you 4 layers to work with.
- On the first layer, spread half of the cherry jam, then top with the other half of the sponge cake.
- Next, spread the cherry cream filling on the next layer, then top with another layer.
- Spoon the remaining cherry jam on the next layer and top with the last layer.
- Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together to form a thick, sugary paste and pour it on the top of the cake and let it slowly ooze over the edges.
- Decorate the top of the cake with whole cherries and flaked almonds.
Serve immediately and store leftover in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 452
- Sugar: 36.5 g
- Sodium: 131 mg
- Fat: 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.9 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 105 mg