- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 150g (5 oz) bacon lardons
- 30g (1 oz) butter
- 2 chicken legs
- 6 baby onions [shallots], peeled
- 2 carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) dried thyme
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) tomato purée
- 5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
- 200g (7 oz) button mushrooms, washed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) corn flour (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 170°C/350°F/gas 4).
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron pot and fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the oil and fry the chicken pieces until browned.
- Add the bacon, onions, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, wine, stock, purée and sugar to the meat.When the sauce is bubbling, place the lid on the pot and transfer it to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After the elapsed time, lower the temperature to 130°C (fan 110°C/250°F/gas 1) and cook for another hour.
- After an hour, place the mushrooms with the chicken and cook for another 30 minutes at 130°C (fan 110°C/250°F/gas 1).
- Place the pot on the hob on low heat, remove the chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Mix the corn flour with a bit of water and slowly pour into the sauce, stirring at the same time. When the sauce has thickened to your desire, serve immediately.
- Alternatively, let it cool down (outside the fridge if you live in a cool climate) and marinate further overnight. Gently heat up the next day and enjoy!
- Mash or boiled rice is all you need to truly enjoy this meal.
- If you can’t get hold of lardons, any bacon will do.
- Use a bouquet garni if you can, and leave out the thyme and bay leaf in the recipe.
- If you are a red wine lover, use 500ml (2 cups) of wine and leave out the stock.
- If you’re lucky enough to own a huge cast iron pot, don’t be afraid to double up on the ingredients to provide for more people
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 815 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 23.9 g
- Cholesterol: 95 mg