A gluten free shepherd’s pie recipe is an English classic, consisting of lamb mince & potatoes simmered in gravy. Dairy free shepherd’s pie also optional.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery sticks, washed and chopped
- 450g (1lb) lamb mince
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 600ml (1pt) lamb or vegetable stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) tomato puree
- 5ml (1 tsp) thyme, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) rosemary, finely chopped
- 1kg (2lbs) Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 45ml (3 tbsp) milk
- Gently fry the onion in the oil until softened.
- Add the carrots and celery and fry for 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and fry the lamb mince until browned, stirring the mixture constantly.
- Turn down the heat and sprinkle the cornstarch over the mixture and stir.
- Pour in the stock, tomato puree, thyme and rosemary.
- Stir thoroughly and let the mixture slowly bubble for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan 160°C/356°F/gas mark 4
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water.
- When cooked, drain the potatoes and mash with the butter and milk.
- Pour the meat in an ovenproof dish and top evenly with mash.
- Ruffle the mash and bake for 20 minutes or until the mince bubbles and the mash is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with green vegetables.
- You can add grated Cheddar cheese to the mash and sprinkle some more on top to create a decadent Shepherd’s Pie.
- Before baking the pie you can actually let it cool down and freeze it. Thaw and bake later!
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 563
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 191 mg
- Fat: 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 41.7 g
- Cholesterol: 109 mg