Doesn’t it confuse you when something that tastes delicious is actually healthy too? Take this wrap for example. If my stomach had the capacity I would have eight of these in one sitting, Homer Simpson-style. Instead I have to settle for two a day, for breakfast and lunch.
What I tend to do is make a batch of the chicken and keep it in a bowl in the fridge and use as necessary. Zero fuss – it takes less than five minutes to put together. Zero mess – I use one plate and one knife in the process. For once you can simplify life a bit!
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup / 2fl oz) hoisin sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) honey
- 5ml (1 tsp) sesame oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced in strips
- 15ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 4 tortilla wraps
- salad leaves
- cucumber, julienned
- To make the marinade, combine the garlic, hoisin sauce, soy, honey, sesame oil and tomato sauce in a small bowl.
- Pour over the chicken breasts, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan. Add the chicken and marinade to the pan and stir fry. Let it sizzle and bubble away until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Warm the tortilla. Place the lettuce and cucumber over the middle of the tortilla and place the chicken pieces on top. Fold to make a wrap, slice the wrap in half and serve straight away. Repeat the process to make the other wraps.
- The recipe above is quite saucy. You can double up on the chicken if you like using the same amount of sauce.
Marinate 1kg (2lb) chicken wings in the marinade and grill/barbecue for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. You can also bake them at 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas 4 for 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 14.8 g
- Sodium: 1138 mg
- Fat: 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.6 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 16.9 g
- Cholesterol: 37 mg