- 4 eggs
- 100g (3½ oz) sugar
- 250g (9 oz) mascarpone
- 24 Spéculoos biscuits
- 60ml (2 oz) Marsala, Amaretto, Bailey’s or dark rum
- 200ml (7 oz) strong, dark coffee
- 40 g (1½ oz) bitter cocoa powder
- Separate the eggs into two bowls: whites and yolks.
- In a mixer, whisk the yolks and 80g (2½ oz) of the sugar; the mixture should double in volume.
- In a bowl, whisk the mascarpone to make it creamy then stir in the yolks gently.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, add the remaining sugar, and continue to beat for 2 minutes and gently incorporate the mascarpone mixture.
- Mix the coffee and liqueur in a bowl and set aside.
- In a Bodega/dessert glass or dish, arrange 2 biscuits and cover with a layer of the foamy mixture. Place two biscuits on top, douse with coffee and liqueur. Cover with another layer of the foamy mixture and sprinkle with cocoa. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- This recipe can be made the day before and kept in the fridge.
- If you can’t find Spéculoos biscuits, use a thin, ginger-based biscuit instead.
- If you are like me and not a coffee drinker, omit the coffee and increase the quantity of liqueur instead.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 22.8 g
- Sodium: 94 mg
- Fat: 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.8 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
- Cholesterol: 184 mg