A delicious rich and creamy soup that’ll soothe your soul and warm your heart, avocado soup is so satisfying and super simple to make.
Are you ready to learn how to make your new favorite lunchtime soup? Here goes!
Products you need for this recipe
Let’s take a look at some of the kitchen items and ingredients that you need to make this recipe:
- Large saucepan – get a quality, large heavy-duty saucepan to make this soup. Once you’ve made this soup, you’ll be wanting to make lots more
- Vegetable chopper – chopping and slicing vegetables can sometimes feel like a chore. Take the stress out of it and save time by using a vegetable chopper
- Blender – once you’ve cooked everything together, you’ll need to whizz everything together in a blender. You can also use a hand blender – your soup will come out just as delicious
- Avocado slicer – get this quality little gadget and you’ll be peeling and slicing avocados double quick time!
- Garlic press – peeling and chopping garlic can be a chore. A garlic press makes the whole process super easy and you end up with finely minced garlic, for a better flavor
- Measuring jug – whether you’re using chicken broth or vegetable stock, use a measuring jug to get the right amount of liquid in your soup
- Soup bowls – a soup this tasty deserves to be served up in style. Don’t forget your soup spoons and soup ladle too
- Vegetable stock – get a quality vegetable stock… it’ll make all the difference. You could also use chicken stock if you prefer a meatier flavor to your avocado soup
- Olive oil – this will be the first ingredient in the pot. So, make it a good one
Avocado soup recipe
With its rich, creamy nutty taste and health food status, there’s no wonder avocado is so popular. In the last twenty years, it’s gone from fringe fruit to the out-and-out darling of the vegan revolution.
With thousands of avocado recipes online covering everything from over the top avocado-based brunches to deep fried spiced avocados, it can sometimes seem that this simple, flavorful ingredient is being ruined.
So, let’s get back to basics.
When it comes to beauty from simplicity, a soothing soup is where it’s at. Delicious ripe avocados, vibrant green courgettes, a deep vegetable or chicken broth and a sweet onion are the ingredients for a heavenly soup that’ll make you swoon.
Best of all, there’s next to none prep time and it’s very easy to make.
The surprising origins of the word ‘avocado’
Have you ever wondered where the word ‘avocado’ comes from? Well, it turns out that the origin story is… well, let’s say, a lot ballsier than you would think.
Avocados come from Mexico and Central America, where they were first discovered by the Aztecs over 2,000 years ago.
When it came to naming fruit, the Aztecs weren’t shy. They simply named things as they saw them. So, when they saw a pair of big slightly wrinkled fruits swinging in the breeze – avocados grow in pairs – their minds went to one place.
Yep, you guessed it. They named the newly found fruit after their word for testicles – āhuacatl.
Years later, Spanish explorers turned up and renamed them ‘aguacate’, which is still today the Spanish word for avocado. ‘Aguacate’ didn’t catch on in the United States when the little green marvel made its way north. So, it was renamed ‘alligator pear’ and, eventually ‘avocado.’
So, the next time you’re at a dinner party and someone asks you for an interesting fact, you know what to tell them!
Are avocados good for you?
Avocados have amazing health benefits!
These delicious little green delights are packed full of vitamin K (just one avocado provides 26% of your daily value), folate, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B5, vitamin B6 and vitamin E, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium and potassium.
They also give your lots of lutein, beta-carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids. How about that for a superfood?!
Are avocados a vegetable or a fruit?
With its green coloring and deep nutty taste, you’d be forgiven for thinking an avocado was a vegetable.
In fact, it’s a fruit! Not only are avocados fruits, but there are actually berries!
It’s that inbetween, slightly sweet yet nutty and savory taste that makes avocados such a versatile ingredient.
Do avocados make you gain weight?
There’s no reason why eating avocado would make you gain weight. While they may be high in fat, if you eat them as part of a balanced diet, you’ll be fine.
In fact, avocados might actually help you to maintain a healthy weight. This is because they make you feel full for longer and provide healthy fats, replacing other ingredients that might provide unhealthy fats.
That said, eat too many a day and you’ll go over your daily caloric requirements…
Is avocado soup vegan?
Not only is this avocado soup delicious and nutritious, it’s also 100% vegan. Yep, no cream in sight! There’s no need for cream when avocados are so creamy already.
If you’re a meat-eater and you want to make this soup a little meatier, you can always add 1 cup of chicken broth.
What other ingredients can I add to this avocado soup?
After you’ve made this avocado soup, chances are you’ll want to experiment with a few variations.
Try adding a bit of zest to this recipe. A little lime juice will really give this avocado soup an extra zing! You can use fresh lime juice for a nice acidic twist.
Or, if you can’t get hold of fresh lime juice, use bottled lime juice. It’ll taste almost as good.
If you’re not vegan, you could always add some extra cream to this recipe. Sour cream would work best in my opinion, as will add an interesting dimension of flavor.
What can I do with overgrown zucchini from my garden?
Zucchini, otherwise known as courgettes, are a key ingredient in this avocado soup recipe. If you’re a keen gardener and you’re left wondering what to do with overgrown courgettes from your garden, check out this roast marrow recipe. It’s utterly delicious!
More smooth vegetable soup recipes
Need some more soothing soup for the soul? Check out this long list of divine recipes. There’s a recipe in there for everyone!
- Soup maker mushroom soup – a creamy yet warming soup that’s one for all you mushroom lovers out there
- Slimming world butternut squash soup – a luscious creamy soup that still manages to be super healthy
- Swede soup – a supremely tasty soup that’s packed full of nutrients, when the weather gets cold, this recipe is exactly what the doctor ordered
- Zucchini and leek soup – a versatile soup that’s easy to make and delicious all year round, this recipe is a great way to use up all those leftover zucchinis
- Sweet potato and red pepper soup – vegetable soup recipes just don’t get any better than this
- Marrow soup – you’ll feel so good after eating this soothing soup. It’s very easy to make and tastes so fresh
- Wild garlic soup – garlic lovers rejoice! This soup is so incredibly tasty, you’d have to be a vampire not to enjoy it
- Leek and onion soup – a sweet and savory delight, this recipe is delicious all year round
- Pumpkin and sweet potato soup – perfect for when the weather starts to chance, this is a very tasty soup. It makes the ideal midweek evening dinner
- Vegan leek and potato soup – subtly spiced, super creamy and unbelievably easy to make, this could be your new favorite soup recipe
- Easy carrot soup – as the name suggests, it’s super easy to make, with a very quick cook time and it’s delicious to boot!
- Slow cooker sweet potato soup – the definitive winter warmer
- Chestnut soup – the most Christmassy soup imaginable. I guarantee this would be a favorite of ol’ St Nick’s!
- Watercress soup – as cleansing soups go, this is one of the best
- Chickpea soup – rich, earthly and packed full of nutrients, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried this beautiful broth recipe
- Brussels sprouts soup – wondering what to do with leftover sprouts after the big festive feast? Here’s your answer
- Cauliflower and potato soup – a delicious rustic delight, this will go down perfect on a cold winter’s night
- Broccoli and stilton soup – this recipe is not for the faint hearted. Two ingredients that divide opinion, broccoli and stilton definitely have their fans. If you’re among them, you won’t want to miss this recipe
- Leek and potato soup – a vegan soup lover’s dream
- Butternut squash and orange soup – healthy, zesty and oh so tasty
- Curried carrot and split pea soup – soups don’t get much more comforting than this
- Asparagus soup – a lean green soup lover’s dream!
- Pea soup – the ultimate vegan winter warmer
- Kabocha squash and butter bean soup – if you’ve never tried kabocha squash, now’s the time!
- Kabocha squash and cumin soup – another kabocha recipe that tastes wonderful
- Potato and fennel soup – a sumptuous spicy delight
- Curried butternut squash and apple soup – there’s so much flavor going on here
- Broccoli, pea and leek soup – healthy, simple to make and so fresh tasting
- Jerusalem artichoke soup – a deliciously creamy classy winter warmer
This Avocado Soup is super healthy and completely vegan. It’s bulked out with zucchini and cooked in vegetable broth. Best served with crusty bread.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
- 1 medium avocado, stoned, peeled and chopped
- cilantro, for garnishing
- croutons, for topping
- Heat the oil a large saucepan over a medium hear. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes; stir in the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute more.
- Add the vegetable broth, zucchini and salt. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, until the zucchini are very soft. Cool slightly, then stir in the avocado.
- Tip the contents into a blender whiz to a smooth purée. Alternatively, use a hand blender.
- Garnish with cilantro and croutons, if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If you like your soup of a thinner consistency, add more broth.
- Alternatively, if you like a chunky soup. Chop the vegetables in bite-sized pieces and serve before the blending step.
- You can easily substitute the zucchini/courgettes with marrows, which is essentially the overgrown version of the former.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado soup, hot avocado soup recipe, vegan avocado soup, vegan soup recipe, healthy vegan recipe, how to make avocado soup