This drink is a refreshing alternative to the real sap if you don’t have a juice extractor. As you simmer the apples their flavour and sweetness flow into the hot water and what you’re left with is the pure essence of apple.
Since raw apple is too acidic for a baby I thought it would be interesting to let Gabriel try a bit of this infusion. At first he just shoved his weaning cup away, thinking it contained water. After having his lunch, he built up a thirst and again I presented the cup to him. With little enthusiasm for my offering he took a sip. In a few seconds his eyes were as huge as saucers and his hands clenched the handles, fear stepping in that I will take this great tasting water away from him. For the next few minutes all you could hear was slurps and gurgles.
The next day the apple drink was obviously finished and as usual I filled his cup with water. The sight of his blue cup made Gabriel go absolutely berserk; arms and legs flailing, anything to bring the cup closer. Immediately after the first sip he screwed up his face, he tasted a bit again. Then he clicked. Slowly he put the cup down and looked at me with great disgust as if to say: “What did you do?”. Who knew babies could be so entertaining?
Apple & Cinnamon Infusion
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
Total 25 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 600g (1.3 lb) dessert apples, roughly chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 60ml (4 tbsp) brown sugar
- ice cubes, to serve
- Place the apple, cinnamon stick, brown sugar and 1 litre (4 cups) water in a pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the flavours have infused and the apple has softened.
- Remove from the heat, cool slightly, then chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- When cold, strain the infusion and serve it over lots of ice.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.4g
Saturated Fat 0.1g
Total Carbohydrates 41.2g
Dietary Fiber 3.9g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.