Having grown up in the southern hemisphere, I have gotten used to how hectic the New Year can be. It’s as if everything starts anew when the old year ticks on to the next. After gluttonous Christmas dinners, we pick ourselves up from our creaking, tired couches, haul our heavier bodies to the starting point, take a deep breath in, get on our marks, get set and GO by January the 3rd. Up here things work a bit differently. For a start schools open in September as well as a lot of other hobby clubs, like for example my photography club. Gabriel’s playgroup started too and with the tonnes of photos I take of him and all the other children every week, my time is permanently eaten by post photo processing. On top of that my parents came to stay for a week and since their visit takes top priority, everything else was left to gather dust in the meantime. Fear not, my dear readers, things are slowly being straightened out in the household and I’ll try my best to post regularly again. Thanks for all your support the past 2 years!
Bacon-wrapped Pork Sausages with Sweet, Sticky Apple
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 30 minutes
Total 35 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 8 pork sausages
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 2 eating apples, each cut into 8 wedges
- Heat oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Tie a piece of bacon around each sausage. Heat the oil in a flameproof roasting tin on the hob, then brown the sausages in the tin. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Toss in the apple wedges and roast everything for another 10 minutes until the sausages are cooked and the apples are sticky and caramelised.
- Serve with mash.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 34g
Saturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrates 14g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.