Chocolate Orange Cupcakes are perfect to bake in cold weather and serve over the Christmas period. This recipe uses Terry’s Chocolate Orange chunks.
- 130g (⅔ cup) caster sugar
- 130g (⅔ cup) butter
- 130g (1 cup) self raising flour
- 30g (¼ cup) cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 40g (⅓ cup) chocolate orange, chopped into small pieces
- 1 fresh orange, juice and zest
- Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 175°C / fan 155°C / 350°F / gas mark 3 (temperature varies on each oven so you may need to make your oven slightly hotter or cooler).
- Place 12 cupcakes cases in a muffin tray. Set aside.
- Measure out butter and sugar into the same bowl and cream together until well mixed and turned lighter in colour.
- Measure out the flour into a separate bowl and add the cocoa powder. Gently stir together.
- Add 1 egg to the creamed butter and sugar along with a tablespoon of the flour and mix well. Repeat this part of the process 1 egg at a time to give a lighter mix.
- Stir in the remaining flour, chocolate orange and orange zest and 10ml (2 tsp) orange juice.
- Scoop mixture into cases, about half full. An ice cream scoop is very handy for doing this.
- Place the mixture in the oven for approximately 15 minutes. Check to see if the cupcakes are cooked. If not, bake for another 5 minutes, or until they are springy and return to shape when lightly pressed on top.
- Orange Icing: Soften the butter. This works well in the microwave in 10 second bursts, checking each time to see if butter is softening.
- Carefully add icing sugar to avoid clouds of icing dust.
- Mix until fully incorporated and butter icing becomes whiter. You can do this by hand but a mixer makes it much easier – just keep the mixer on a slow speed.
- Add the orange extract or some leftover orange juice to the mixture to give it an extra “zing”.
- [Optional] Add the food colouring. Use as much or little as you like to achieve the desired orange icing.
- Using a large star nozzle, pipe swirls of butter icing onto the cakes.
- Decorate with a chunk of chocolate orange or sprinkles of roughly cut chocolate orange.
Want to make chopping of the chocolate a breeze? Use a Zyliss Easy Pull Food Processor.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: chocolate orange cupcakes, chocolate orange dessert, Terrys chocolate orange recipe, chocolate cupcakes with orange buttercream