- 130g self raising flour
- 130g caster sugar
- 130g butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 fresh orange
- 40g chocolate orange
- 125g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- Cupcakes: Pre-heat oven to 175°C (temperature varies on each oven so you may need to make your oven slightly hotter or cooler) and place appropriate number of muffin cases in a muffin tray (set aside until required).
- Measure out butter and sugar into same bowl and cream together until well mixed and turns lighter in colour (I mix 1 egg mixes by hand, but for larger quantities a food mixer is easier to use).
- Measure out flour into a separate bowl and add the baking powder (gently stir together).
- Add 1 egg to the creamed butter and sugar along with a tablespoon of the flour and mix well. Repeat this part of the process 1 egg at a time to give a lighter mix.
- Chop the chocolate orange into small chunks, then take the zest of the orange and approximately 10ml (2 tsp) of fresh squeezed orange juice.
- Gently stir in the remaining flour, chocolate orange and orange zest/juice.
- Scoop mixture into cases (about half full). An ice cream scoop is very handy for doing this.
- Place the mixture in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes (check after 15 minutes to see if cooked). Cakes will be cooked when they are springy and return to shape when lightly pressed on top.
- Butter Icing: Soften the butter (this works well in microwave in 10 second bursts, checking each time to see if butter is softening)
- Carefully add icing sugar to avoid clouds of icing dust.
- Mix until fully incorporated and butter icing becomes whiter. (You can do this by hand but a mixer makes it much easier – just keep the mixer on a slow speed)
- Optional, add a little orange essence or fresh squeezed orange juice to the mixture to give it an extra “zing”.
- Using a large star nozzle, pipe swirls of butter icing onto the cakes.
- Decorate with a chunk of chocolate orange or sprinkles of roughly cut chocolate orange.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 78 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 77 mg