Enjoy the last month of winter with this satisfyingly nutritious soup.
Red lentils are the bee’s knees. On countless occasions had I forgotten to soak lentils and other pulses for a stew the night before and the following day kicked myself when I wanted to start cooking. The beauty of red lentils is that they don’t need soaking!
The second reason for loving them is their high nutritional value. They are packed with proteins, cholesterol-lowering dietary fibre, folate, magnesium, vitamin B1 and iron.
Red lentils are cheap!
Lastly, red lentils are quicker to cook than their counterparts. They taste sweeter but become somewhat mushy when cooked and are best suited for soups and stews.
One bowl of this aromatic soup is more than enough thanks to the creamy coconut. If you like soup to be smooth and velvety, blend it. If not, keep it chunky but whatever you do, don’t forget the bread!
Download and/or print the recipe! Click HERE.Print
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) turmeric
- 5ml (1 tsp) garam masala
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) chili powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 175g (6 oz) red lentils
- 10ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
- 300ml (½ pint) coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- chopped fresh coriander
- naan bread, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add all the spices. Cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, red lentils, lemon juice, vegetable stock, and coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are tender, adding extra hot water if necessary. Season to taste and then serve sprinkled with the chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve with toasted naan breads for ducking in your soup.
If you like your soup smooth, you’re welcome to blend it; otherwise keep it chunky!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 210 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 9.5 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg