Two years ago I introduced you to the traditional Spanish Tortilla. Just like pasta and ice-cream the sky’s the limit what you can put in your tortilla. Courgette and new potato is a good combination and this time round it includes two of my favourite vegetables: sweet potato and leek. Never be afraid to experiment!
Sweet Potato & Leek Tortilla
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 30 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 450g (1 lb) sweet potato
- salt and pepper
- 3 leeks, trimmed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 125ml (4fl oz) milk
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) chunks. Cook in boiling salted water for 5-8 minutes, until just tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Thinly slice the leeks. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the leeks and cook until softened. Add the sweet potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato is just beginning to colour.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and milk together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then pour into the frying pan. Cook gently until the tortilla is set on the bottom.
- Place the drying pan under the grill and cook until the tortilla is puffed and golden. Serve straight from the pan.
- Serve on its own or if you’re feeling virtuous, serve with a green, leafy salad and simple vinaigrette.
- The tortilla is not suitable for freezing.
- Make sure you use a frying pan which is suitable for placing under the grill.
- For those not on a diet, you can substitute the milk with single (light) cream and sprinkle cheese, e.g. Gruyère or mature Cheddar, on top of the tortilla before placing it under the grill.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12.3g
Saturated Fat 2.8g
Total Carbohydrates 35.1g
Dietary Fiber 5.3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.