Mini Beef & Mushroom Pies look tricky to make but are easy to prepare. It does take long to prepare but the end result is worth it. Suitable for freezing.
- 1 quantity of Beef Stew with Mushrooms and Red Wine, cooled
- 1.2kg (4 rolls) ready rolled shortcrust pastry, at room temperature
- 600g (2 rolls) ready rolled puff pastry, at room temperature
- Flour, for rolling
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.
- Lightly oil a standard 12-hole muffin pan and set aside.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour and roll out the shortcrust pastry. Find a bowl large enough to use as a stencil that will cover an area large enough for the pastry to cover the whole area of each muffin hole with flaps coming over the edge. Cut out 24 circles with all the shortcrust pastry.
- Do exactly the same with the puff pastry but this time you need a smaller circle.
- Line the muffin tin with the shortcrust pastry then fill each hole with stew.
- Lay the circles over the cases and seal all around the edge with your fingers. Crimp the edges and brush the tops all over with egg.
- Make a hole in the centre of each for steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp and the filling is piping hot. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes. Carefully remove from the tin. Serve with mash.
- If you want to make 12 pies, simply halve all the ingredients, except the egg.
- The quantity of pastry needed depends on the size of the pie holes being used, so this is a rough estimate as to how these worked out for me.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 297 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.2 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 19.9 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg