- 1kg (2¼ lbs) raw shell-on tiger prawns
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) dark soy sauce
- grated rind of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- With a sharp knife, score down the back of the shrimp. Remove the thin, digestive tract with the tip of the knife. Repeat with the rest of the prawns. Rinse the prawns under running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the prawns in a large bowl.
- Mix the garlic, oil, soy, rind, juice and sugar then pour the marinade over the prawns and stir well, making sure all surfaces of the prawns are coated with the marinade.
- Cover the dish and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Just before serving, preheat the grill. Transfer the prawns to the grill pan and grill as close to the heat as possible for 6-8 minutes, turning and basting frequently with the marinade juices, until the prawns are pink, and slightly charred.
- Transfer the prawns to a warmed serving platter and scatter over some chopped fresh coriander. Serve with lime wedges.
- We like to eat egg noodles on the side.
- You can cook the prawns on the barbecue if you prefer.
- Don’t forget the finger bowls!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 127 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 127 mg