Once you’ve tasted sous-vide steak you’ll never look back again!
- 4 steaks, weighing about 250g (8 oz) each
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil [optional]
- Preheat the water bath. 50°C (125°F) for rare, 55°C (130°F) for medium-rare and 60°C (140°F) for medium.
- Place the steaks in an even layer in a pouch and vacuum seal. Use more than one pouch if necessary.
- Place the sealed pouch(es) into the preheated water bath and cook for tenderloin (fillet), top-loin (strip), porterhouse and T-bone steaks for 1-1½ hours. Rib or rib-eye steaks at 50°C (125°F) for rare and 55°C (130°F) and 60°C (140°F) for medium-rare and medium respectively for 6 to 8 hours.
- Just before the allotted cooking time is finished, preheat a grill or skillet until it’s very hot.
- Remove the steak from the pouches and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Lightly brush the steaks with oil and generously season them with salt and pepper.
- Put the steak on the very hot grill and sear each side until it’s nicely browned, about one minute on each side. Alternatively, sear each side in the very hot skillet for 15-25 seconds on each side. To avoid overcrowding, work in batches if necessary. Blot the steaks with paper towels afterwards to remove excess oil.
- Serve immediately.
Serve with your favourite vegetables and don’t forget to have some sauce with it – Creamy Mushroom and Sherry Sauce works deliciously well!
- Category: Meat
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 233g
- Calories: 582
- Sodium: 130 mg
- Fat: 57 g
- Saturated Fat: 20.5 g
- Protein: 50 g
- Cholesterol: 150 mg