- Flour, for dusting
- 2 x 320g (11oz) ready-rolled shortcrust pastry sheets
- 250ml (1 cup) caramel sauce
- 395g (1 can) apple pie filling
- 1 egg, beaten
- 45ml (3 tbsp) cinnamon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4).
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and flatten one sheet of pastry on it.
- Spoon the caramel onto the pastry and spread thinly across the whole surface.
- Empty the apple pie filling can into a bowl and shop into smaller bits. Spoon the filling onto the caramel pastry and spread into a thin, even layer.
- On a dusted work surface flatten the other pastry roll then, using a pastry cutter or a knife, slice all of it into thin ribbons about 1cm (½ in) wide.
- Make a lattice, using the pastry ribbons, over the top of the pie.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible.
- Transfer the cookies, using a spatula, onto an oiled non-stick baking sheet.
- Brush egg wash onto the latticed pastry and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
- Cinnamon sugar comprises a ration of 50:50 cinnamon and sugar, which you can make up yourself.
- You shouldn’t necessarily use all the ingredients, such as a complete jar of caramel sauce or apple pie filling. Play it by ear!
- The scraps can be baked as well. They might not be as pretty but tastes the same!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 141 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.3 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 14 mg