Baked apples stuffed with almonds, honey and cinnamon are perfect if you are looking for a healthier dessert. Kids love this baked apple recipe too, just hold back on the Calvados. You can substitute almonds with walnuts.
- 2.5ml (½ teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar [optional]
- 60g (2 oz) whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Calvados, alternatively brandy [optional]
- 2 large cooking apples
- lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Mix the chopped nuts with the cinnamon and honey in a bowl, then add the brandy, if using. You can add the sugar if you have a sweet tooth.
- Core the apples, score the skin around their middles and place in a baking dish. Coat the hollow of each apple with lemon juice to stop the flesh going brown.
- Fill each apple generously with the nut mix, then bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and soft through. Cover with foil if the filling starts to get too brown before it is ready.
- Serve with cold custard or vanilla ice cream.
- Smaller apples will need a shorter cooking time.
- If there is some are some of the nut mix left over, place it in a separate contained baking dish in the oven with the apples. Cover with foil before it gets too brown. Serve the apples with some extra stuffing.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 34.5 g
- Sodium: 8 mg
- Fat: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.7 g
- Fiber: 8.8 g
- Protein: 7.4 g