This healthy Chocolate Courgette Cake is topped with a light vanilla icing and walnut halves. Perfect for tea time.
- 120g (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 125ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
- 100g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 200g (1 cup) soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 350g (1¾ cups) plain flour
- 8g (2 tsp) baking powder
- 30g (4 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 450g (1lb) courgettes, peeled and finely grated
- 100g (3½oz) chocolate chips
- 150g (⅔ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 375g (3 cups) icing sugar
- cocoa powder, for decoration
- 12 walnut halves [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/ fan 375°F/gas mark 4.
- Put the butter, oil and both sugars in a bowl and beat them together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then the milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Give the grated courgettes a squeeze to remove excess water.
- Stir in the courgettes and vanilla.
- Tip the mixture into a 20 x 35xm (8 x 14in) baking tin lined with baking parchment.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the tin from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the cooling rack on top of the tin and slowly turn it over. Cover with a clean tea towel, set aside and let the cake cool completely.
- Vanilla Icing: Meanwhile, whisk the butter, vanilla and icing sugar in a large bowl until fully combined. The icing should double in size and be light and fluffy.
- Slather the icing on top of the cake, sprinkle with cocoa powder and decorate with walnuts.
- Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Milk, as well as dark chocolate, chips will work in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: chocolate courgette cake, chocolate zucchini cake, chocolate courgette loaf, zucchini cake, vegetable zucchini cake, courgette cake recipe, summer cake recipe, courgette glut recipe, chocolate marrow cake