- 750g (1 1/2 lb) mixed dried fruit
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 3 oranges
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 60ml (4 tbsp) honey
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve warm as a dessert with ice cream or cold with yogurt for breakfast.
- Use your favourite dried fruit for this compote. I used prunes, cherries, raisins, figs and apricots.
- Other ideas include apple, pear, mango and pineapple.
- Sometimes the fruit can be really dry and chewy. To make them soft and pliable again, cover them with water in a large bowl for about one hour. Then start the cooking process.
- Try and keep the peeled orange zest in one piece to make for easy removal at the end of the cooking process.
- If possible, place the cinnamon stick, zest, cloves and star anise in a small muslin bag, to enable removal all in one go once the fruit compote has finished stewing. You can substitute the orange juice with apple juice.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 18 mg
- Carbohydrates: 53.3 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 2.3 g