Go for this amazing lemon chess pie recipe. You only need a handful of ingredients which include: lemons, pie crust, butter, eggs, cornmeal, sugar & flour.
- 1 (23cm/9in) sweet pie crust
- 5 large eggs
- 300g (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon zest
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) yellow cornmeal
- 15ml (1 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 115g (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F/gas mark 3.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice together until well blended.
- Sprinkle in the cornmeal, flour and salt.
- Slow drizzle in the cooled butter until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Transfer the pie to the oven and bake for 40 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the centre set.
- Cool on a wire rack for one hour then transfer the pie to the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours.
- Serve for dessert. The pie will store in the fridge for 2 days.
- There are a few options when it comes to the sweet pie crust. Firstly, the pie crust can be store bought – ready for you to pour in the filling and bake. Secondly, you can buy ready made shortcrust pastry (375g/13oz should be enough) and roll it out yourself, then bake accordingly to product instructions. Lastly, you can make the sweet shortcrust pastry yourself from scratch, which will yield best results.
- In the USA, yellow cornmeal is used, and isn’t readily available in shops elsewhere. Polenta and semolina are good substitutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon chess pie, Bill Clinton lemon chess pie recipe, southern cuisine, how to make lemon chess pie