- 130g (4½oz) self-raising flour
- 130g (4½oz) caster sugar
- 130g (4½oz) butter or margarine
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- Red food colour paste or gel
- 125g (4½oz) cream cheese
- 250g (9oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and place appropriate number of muffin cases in a muffin tray.
- Measure out butter and sugar into same bowl and cream together until well mixed and turns lighter in colour.
- Take a small scoop of the red food paste, about the size of a pea, and add to the mixture. Don’t worry about stirring in at this stage as the colour will incorporate as you mix in the eggs and flour.
- Measure out flour into a separate bowl and add the baking powder. Gently stir together.
- Add 1 egg to the creamed butter and sugar along with a tablespoon of the flour and mix well. Repeat this part of the process 1 egg at a time to give a lighter mix.
- Gently fold in the remaining flour, and add a little more red food paste if necessary to achieve the desired depth of colour.
- Scoop mixture into cases, about half-full. An ice cream scoop is very handy for doing this.
- Place the mixture in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to see if cooked. Cakes will be cooked when they are springy and return to shape when lightly pressed on top.
- For the cream cheese frosting, soften the butter.
- Carefully add icing sugar to avoid clouds of icing dust along with the cream cheese.
- Mix until fully incorporated and frosting becomes whiter and a little fluffy. You can do this by hand but a mixer makes it much easier – just keep the mixer on a slow speed.
- Before icing, slice a little section off a couple of the cupcakes and reserve for later or create little wells in the tops of each cake using an apple corer. Using a large plain nozzle, pipe swirls of the frosting icing onto the cakes.
- Decorate with a few cake crumbs from the tops of the cupcakes to create pretty red sprinkles. You can also add icing pearls, sugar crystals or even a little icing flower if you want.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 31.3 g
- Sodium: 106 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.3 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 66 mg