Rhubarb And Pear Crumble is a classic British dessert, best served with custard or ice cream.
- 750g (1⅔lbs) rhubarb
- 600g (1⅓lbs) pears
- 125g (½ cup) golden caster sugar
- 125ml (½ cup) orange juice
- 75g (½ cup) oats
- 150g (1 cup) flour
- 125g (½ cup) cold butter
- 125g (½ cup) brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/392°F/gas mark 6.
- Trim the rhubarb stalks then cut into short batons.
- Peel and core the pears and cut into chunks.
- Tip the rhubarb and pear pieces into a large ovenproof dish, along with the sugar and orange juice. Give it a stir and set aside.
- Place the Crumble Topping ingredients in a separate bowl. Rub all the ingredients together, using your finger tips, until a light breadcrumb texture forms. Alternatively, you can zap everything in a food processor for a short duration.
- Cover the filling evenly with the topping and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the topping is golden, the juice bubbling on the sides and the fruit are fork tender.
- Serve with custard or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- Add grated ginger or vanilla essence to the filling to give the dessert extra zing.
- In this recipe, I used Rocha pears. Feel free to experiment with other varieties.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: rhubarb and pear crumble, rhubarb crumble recipe, best pear crumble, british summer dessert, crumble and custard