- 1kg (2lbs) chicken breasts, skin removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 15ml (1 tbsp) onion powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic granules
- 15ml (1 tbsp) smoked paprika
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 150g (5 oz) ketchup
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) peanut oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mild mustard
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and mix in the onion powder, garlic, paprika, salt and vegetable oil.
- When everything is evenly coated, cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to marinate. Ideally, leave it overnight in the fridge for extra flavour.
- Place the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, peanut oil, mild mustard and brown sugar in a small saucepan.
- Heat the sauce on a low heat until well blended and the sugar has dissolved.
- Thread the chicken pieces on wooden skewers.
- Place the chicken skewers on medium heat on the Gas2Coal barbecue.
- Cook for around 71/2 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with potato salad and your favourite BBQ side dishes.
- Chicken mini-fillets work especially well for kebabs and there’s no need to cut them but instead simply threading them on. In the photos I used them.
- The BBQ sauce has sugar content, so be careful when cooking the chicken skewers. If you place them on too high heat they will burn quickly and won’t be cooked through before you have to remove them from the barbecue.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them 10 minutes in water before they hit the barbecue. This will keep them from burning.
- These kebabs are ideally cooked on the grill. Alternatively, you can oven-bake them 20 minutes on each side.
- The barbecue sauce ingredients listed are enough to baste the kebabs with. Double up if you want to reserve some for dipping. Split the sauce between two bowls because you don’t want to poison yourself by dipping into raw chicken juices, i.e. the bowl you basted the raw chicken with!
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 431
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 689 mg
- Fat: 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.9 g
- Protein: 49 g
- Cholesterol: 148 mg