One, two, three, four, …, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen! Antony Worrall Thompson has got to be kidding! Nineteen ingredients to make a straightforward meatballs and sauce dish. It is recipe number 37 in
Antony Worrall Thompson’s Top 100 Beef Recipes. Is it his short stature he’s trying to make up for? What about the step where you have to roll the meat into 1cm (½ inch) diameter balls?
Antony has got to get in touch with his audience. At the end of a busy working day people don’t want to buy ad infinitum ingredients for a fundamentally basic dish, nor do they want to spend an hour rolling tiny meatballs. Okay, there are some people out there who are willing to do it but they are definitely in the minority, right?!? Don’t get me wrong, I actually like the guy. His recipe idea is brilliant but is just too elaborate. Here is my simplified yet mouth-watering version of his dish.
P.S. This dish joins Presto Pasta Nights.
Beef Meatballs in a Creamy Red Wine Sauce
Prep 40 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 50 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 450g (1 lb) minced (ground) beef
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch white pepper
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 200ml (7 fl oz) beef stock
- 200ml (7 fl oz) red wine
- 200ml (7 fl oz) double (heavy) cream
- 5ml (1 tsp) corn flour (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chives, to garnish
- In a bowl, mix the beef with the salt, cloves and white pepper.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into balls, about 2.5cm (1 inch) in diameter.
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the meatballs until cooked and they have developed a dark golden colour on all sides. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- For the red wine sauce, add the wine and stock to the fat in the meatball frying pan and simmer slowly for about 10 minutes until it has reduced about a third.
- Add the cream and boil the sauce for about a minute, stirring constantly, then turn the heat down. Optional: If you would like your sauce to be of a thicker consistency, add about 15ml (1 tbsp) of water to a cup and stir in the corn flour until it is smooth.
- Add the mixture slowly to the sauce, while stirring. After a short while it will thicken.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce, heat through and serve immediately.
- Serve over buttered noodles or pasta.
- Feel free to add herbs and/or spices you fancy to your meatball mixture in the first step.
- If you would like less sauce, just decrease the quantity of stock, wine and cream. It will be fine as long as you keep the ratio 1:1:1.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 32.3g
Saturated Fat 18.6g
Total Carbohydrates 4.8g
Dietary Fiber 0.5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.