- 15ml (1 tbsp) corn flour/corn starch
- 500g (1 lb) braising beef, trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange, grated rind and juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) tamari
- few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- Put the corn flour into a paper bag. Season with salt and pepper, then add the meat cubes and toss to coat.
- Spray a flameproof casserole with low calorie cooking oil and gently fry the onion in the oil until softened.
- Add the meat and fry while turning to seal, until evenly browned.
- Stir in the orange rind, thyme, orange juice and tamari.
- Top up with water or stock, bring to the boil and top with the lid.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C/fan150°C/325°F/gas mark 3 for about 1½ hours.
- If you’re not gluten intolerant, use soy sauce instead of tamari.
- Serve with baked jacket potatoes and green vegetables.
- Category: Stew
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: slimming world beef stew, beef and orange stew, beef and orange casserole, beef stew recipe