- 15ml (1 tbsp) corn flour/corn starch
- 500g (1 lb) braising beef, trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 orange, grated rind and juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce or Tamari
- few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- Put the corn flour into a paper bag. Season with salt and pepper, then add the meat cubes and toss to coat.
- Fry the onion in the oil until soft.
- Add the meat and fry while turning to seal, until evenly browned.
- Transfer to a flameproof casserole with a lid. Stir in the orange rind, thyme, orange juice and soy sauce.
- Top up with water, bring to the boil and put on the lid.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C/fan150°C/325°F/gas mark 3 for about 1½ hours. Serve hot.
- Serve with baked jacket potatoes and green vegetables.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 589
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 962 mg
- Fat: 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.9 g
- Fiber: 6.2 g
- Protein: 55.5 g
- Cholesterol: 144 mg