Every foodie has got his/her own favourite celebrity chef but not once have I heard the name Nadine Abensur come out of anyone’s lips and I think it is high time to give her some credit. Paging through newly released cookbooks these days I feel as if most of these so-called chefs trod through the same path time and time again. Each one gives his own twist to bolognese, lasagna, vichyssoise and braised red cabbage, to name a few, but when it comes down to it their cookbooks are all more or less the same.
What makes Abensur different is that every recipe she publishes is truly unique. Due to her rich cultural background she uses a wide variety of ingredients in her vegetarian meals. Even the most hardy meat-eater will be tempted by what she has to offer. Check out this recipe below – healthy and delicious.
This broccoli with hoisin stir fry is a fabulous vegetarian recipe that includes asparagus and red pepper too for extra vitamins. Served on a bed of couscous it makes the perfect weeknight dinner.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) asparagus
- 500g (1lb 2oz) broccoli
- 240g (½lb) couscous
- 30ml sesame oil (or else olive)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 45ml (3 tbsp) hoisin sauce
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- dash of Tabasco sauce, optional
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Parboil the asparagus and broccoli (separately) in salted boiling water until just tender, then drain.
- Place the couscous in a large serving bowl, pour over the stock, cover with cling film and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and add the garlic and peppers. When the peppers have softened a bit, add the asparagus, broccoli, hoisin, soy and Tabasco to the pan. Mix all the vegetables and sauté until it’s done to your preference.
- Remove the cling film from the couscous bowl and fluff using a fork. Serve the vegetables on top of the couscous.
- If you are wheat/gluten intolerant, use rice instead of couscous.
- If necessary, fry the vegetables in batches.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 12.9 g
- Sodium: 965 mg
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 7.8 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
Keywords: broccoli with hoisin sauce, asparagus and broccoli recipe, asparagus and red pepper stir fry, broccoli and asparagus stir fry