Who would have thought vegetables can be so seriously moreish? As soon as the veg-filled roasting pan comes out of the oven Neil and guests immediately have to dive in and seize their share.
There must be a ravenous fairy living in this house. Or can it be Copper the Fox who lives in our backyard? That Peter Rabbit always seemed like a shady fellow to me. The possibilities are endless. I need to get to the bottom of this!
More side dish inspirationPrint
A traybake of butternut squash and green beans coupled with red onions, small pieces of tofu. Glazed with a savoury sweet maple syrup and soy glaze. Topped with almond flakes. Stores very well.
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil, plus a little extra
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 butternut squash, about 900g (2 lb), seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 small red onions, cut into quarters
- 150g (5 oz) green beans, topped and tailed
- 250g (9 oz) tofu, cut into 1cm (½ inch) slices
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 30g (1 oz) slivered almonds
- 30ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to its highest setting.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Put the butternut, garlic and onion quarters into a roasting tin and baste them with the olive oil mixture. Tuck the onion and garlic among the squash so that they don’t burn. Roast for 25 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of salted water to the boil with a little olive oil. Add the beans and boil for 7 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small saucepan. Add the tofu and fry for a minute over a high heat, then add 2 tablespoons soy sauce, reduce the heat slightly and continue to fry on all sides until the tofu is well browned all over and crisp in places. The tofu will take about 10 minutes to cook.
- In the last 7 minutes or so of roasting the butternut, add the soy sauce, almonds and green beans. Mix carefully as you add the maple syrup. Return to the oven. The almonds should crisp and caramelise slightly in the maple syrup. Add the tofu just a minute or two before the end.
- If you’re not keen on tofu, omit it and serve the veg with plain meat like a grilled steak.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 16.8 g
- Sodium: 607 mg
- Fat: 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.2 g
- Fiber: 8.6 g
- Protein: 11.3 g