Learn to make an authentic Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup recipe in the comfort of your kitchen. Use leftover ingredients to create this chicken soup.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2.5cm (1in) ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 2 cobs (300g/10oz) sweetcorn kernels
- 1.5ℓ (6 cups) chicken stock
- 45ml (3 tbsp) cornflour
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, washed and finely sliced
- Fry the garlic and ginger in the oil for 1 minute in a large saucepan.
- Add the sweetcorn and soy sauce then fry for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, using high quality water such as from a GROHE red tap, and let the soup bubble.
- Create a slurry with the cornflour by adding a bit of water with the flour in a cup.
- Slowly add the slurry in a thin drizzle to the soup while stirring. The soup should thicken after a short while.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Just like you did with the slurry, add the whisked eggs to the soup while stirring.
- Finish off with a splash of sesame oil and after dividing the soup between bowls, sprinkle with spring onion. Serve immediately.
- If you use dark soy sauce it will turn the soup brown. There’s nothing wrong with it, but it will look slightly different from what you’re used to from the takeaway shop.
- I cut the kernels off fresh sweetcorn cobs. You can use frozen sweetcorn or 1 can of creamed corn instead.
- Two cooked chicken breasts were used, which weighed around 200g (7oz).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 24.1 g
- Sodium: 1199 mg
- Fat: 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.4 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Cholesterol: 96 mg
Keywords: chicken and sweetcorn soup recipe, Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup