Don’t underestimate the amazing flavours of this Chinese crispy chilli beef recipe. You’ll need rump steaks, but you can use any type of meat you love most.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) cornflour
- 10ml (2 tsp) Chinese 5 spice powder
- 250g (½ lb) rump steak, thinly sliced
- 75ml (5 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, washed and julienned
- 3 spring onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chilli, washed and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5cm (2in) fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) rice wine vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) dark soy sauce
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sweet chilli sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted
- Mix the cornflour and Chinese 5 spice powder in a bowl.
- When well mixed, coat the thin strips of steak in it.
- Heat the oil in a wok until it starts smoking, then fry the meat in batches until everything is completely crisp.
- Lift the crispy meat out and keep warm.
- In the same wok, fry the pepper, chilli, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, soy, chilli sauce, sugar and lime juice.
- Let the sauce bubble for 3 minutes.
- Incorporate the beef with the vegetables and sauce and serve immediately on top of cooked white rice.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and leftover spring onions. Enjoy!
- Be sure to keep the crispy beef warm on the side while cooking the remainder of the dish. Only incorporate the meat with the saucy ingredients at the last minute when serving. The longer the meat soaks in the sauce, the less crispy it will get.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 24.3 g
- Sodium: 3254 mg
- Fat: 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.6 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 26.6 g