These babies are lip-smacking, finger-licking good!
- 1kg (2 lbs) raw shell-on tiger prawns
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame seeds
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) garlic, crushed
- 2.5cm (1 inch) ginger, grated
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) hoisin sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) apricot jam
- With a sharp knife, score down the back of the shrimp. Remove the thin, digestive tract with the tip of the knife. Repeat with the rest of the prawns. Rinse the prawns under running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the prawns in a large bowl.
- Heat the seeds in a dry pan over medium heat, until golden and fragrant, for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and ginger for 2 minutes. Stir in the apricot jam, soy sauce and hoisin. Bring to a simmer then let it cool.
- Toss the prawns in the cooled sauce and marinate for up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, preheat the grill. Transfer the prawns to the grill pan and grill as close to the heat as possible for 6-8 minutes, turning and basting frequently with the marinade juices, until the prawns are pink, and slightly charred.
- Transfer the prawns to a warmed serving platter and scatter the toasted sesame seeds over them. Serve warm or cold.
- We like to eat egg noodles on the side.
- You can cook the prawns on the barbecue if you prefer.
- Don’t forget the finger bowls!
- If you’re wheat and gluten intolerant, use tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Serving Size: 439
- Calories: 569
- Sugar: 32.6 g
- Sodium: 1224 mg
- Fat: 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 62.5 g