Souttert is traditional South African boerekos enjoyed by the Afrikaans community. Ham and cheese are used as a filling in this sout tert recipe but you can play with different ingredients.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter, and extra for greasing
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 500g (1lb) raw bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 30g (1oz) chives, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) grated cheddar
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 400ml (⅔ pt) milk
- 90g (3oz) flour, sieved
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Fry the onions in the butter and oil in a large frying pan until softened.
- Add the bacon pieces to the onions and fry on a high heat to brown the meat and get it fully cooked. Be careful not to burn so lower the heat if necessary.
- Remove from the heat and place it in a large mixing bowl to cool down.
- Stir in the grated cheese and chives.
- In another bowl, prepare the batter by mixing the eggs, milk and flour.
- Grease a pie dish, measuring at 30cm (12in), with butter.
- Spoon the bacon mixture in the pie dish and spread the contents evenly.
- Pour the batter in and even out the filling.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the top is golden and the center cooked.
- Serve with salad with acidic dressing to cut through the richness.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: South African
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 675
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 2141 mg
- Fat: 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20.3 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 44.3 g
- Cholesterol: 231 mg
Keywords: souttert resep, souttert recipe, sout tert resep met bacon, South African souttert recipe