If you’re not sure about Lamb Heart Stew why not just give it a chance, I’m sure it’ll blow away your expectations.
- 30g (¼ cup) flour
- 17g (1 tbsp) salt
- 2g (1 tsp) ground black pepper
- 900g (2lbs) lamb hearts, chopped
- 60ml (4 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 450g (1lb) onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 450g (1lb) mushrooms, quartered
- 375ml (1½ cups) red wine
- 1L (4 cups) beef, lamb or vegetable stock
- 14g (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 900g (2 lbs) potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 450g (1 lb) Chantenay / baby carrots
- parsley, for garnishing [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / fan 140°C / 325°F / gas mark 3.
- Place the flour, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Toss the pieces of lamb heart in the seasoned flour until all surfaces are covered.
- Heat half of the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Brown the dusted lamb hearts over a high heat, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pot and fry the onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and mushrooms and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Turn up the heat, then pour in the wine. Let it bubble for 5 minutes and don’t forget to stir well so that the pot is properly deglazed.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, potatoes and carrots.
- Give everything a good stir then transfer the casserole to the oven and cook for 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread on the side. Enjoy!
- In this recipe, I used 4 lamb hearts.
- If you can’t get hold of fresh thyme you can use 2g (1 tsp) dried thyme.
- In this recipe, you can use standard carrots. Just peel them and cut them into chunky batons.
- Keep the size of the potatoes quite big to prevent smaller pieces from going to mush during the long cooking time.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stew
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: lamb heart stew, lamb heart stew recipe, lamb heart casserole, lamb heart recipe, easy lamb heart recipe, how to cook lamb heart in oven, lamb hearts, lamb heart stew slow cooker