Marmite Chicken is an unusual Chinese recipe you simply must try. You won’t be able to resist chicken glazed with a rich and intense marmite sauce.
- 500g (1lb) chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 60ml (4 tbsp) corn flour
- Oil, for frying
- 15ml (1 tbsp) dark soy sauce
- 60ml (4 tbsp) water
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Marmite
- 60ml (4 tbsp) honey
- 30ml (2 tbsp) mirin
- Dunk the chicken in the egg white, then corn flour before deep frying.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the heat and drain on kitchen towel. Set aside and keep warm.
- To prepare the honey Marmite sauce, use a clean pan. Pour in the soy sauce, water, Marmite, honey and mirin and stir until everything is dissolved. Let the saucesimmer until it thickens.
- Cost the chicken evenly with the gravy and serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!
- As with most famous dishes, there are a plethora of variations as to how to prepare them and this recipe is no different. In the Far East, Marmite chicken is prepared with skin-on boneless, chicken thigh fillets. In this recipe, I opted for the healthier option os skinless chicken breasts.
- As an optional step, you can first marinate the chicken in 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce and 2 crushed garlic cloves for 2 hours in the fridge.
- As for the batter, you can make up your own. Egg and flour will result in a soft coating, whereas corn flour will make it crispy.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds to decorate if you like!
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: marmite chicken recipe, how to cook marmite chicken breast