Keep things simple when cooking steak.
- 50g (2 oz) dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) pepper
- 1.4kg (3 lbs) thick rump steak
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- Whizz the mushrooms into a fine powder in a small food processor or coffee grinder. Mix with a good pinch of salt, pepper and the thyme leaves. Rub the mixture all over the steaks, then pop onto a plate or into a sealable kitchen bag and chill overnight.
- Brush away any excess mixture. Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Turn the heat to medium, then smear a little olive oil over one side of each steak. Griddle, oiled side down, for 3 minutes. Turn over (there’s no need to oil the other side), then cook for another 2 minutes for medium-rare.
- [Optional] Check for doneness with a meat thermometer.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes before carving or serving.
- Serve with baked potatoes and salad.
- In this recipe it’s difficult to give an exact cooking time because it depends on a variety of factors like the thickness of the steak and how hot your pan/barbecue is. Play it by ear!
- Serving Size: 183g
- Calories: 257
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.1 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 40.1 g