- 3 medium [marrows/zucchini] courgettes, weighing about 350g (12 oz) in total
- 2 medium Desiree potatoes, weighing about 350g (12 oz) in total
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh mint
- 225g (8 oz) feta, crumbled
- 2 [scallions] spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 15ml (1 tbsp) plain flour
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- sea salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 35 x 25.5cm (14 x 10 inches) baking tray
- Coarsely grate the courgettes; using a food processor is preferable since it is less time consuming. Place the grated courgettes into a colander then sprinkle them with a teaspoon of salt to draw out some of their excess moisture and leave them to drain for about an hour, with a plate or bowl underneath to catch the juices.
- Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes and place them in a saucepan with a little salt. Pour just enough boiling water over them to cover them, and then simmer gently with a lid on for 8 minutes to parboil them. Drain them and leave them aside until they are cool enough to handle. Peel them and using the coarse side of a grater, grate them into a large bowl and season with more salt and freshly milled black pepper.
- After an hour, rinse the courgettes under cold, running water, squeeze out as much moisture as possible with your hands then spread them out on a clean tea cloth and roll it up to wring out every last drop – this is very important, so the cakes are not wet.
- Now add the courgettes to the grated potatoes, along with the spring onions, mint, feta, beaten egg, and using two forks, lightly toss it all together. Next, divide the mixture into 8 and shape into rounds about 1cm (½ inch) thick, pressing them firmly together to form little cakes. Lightly dist them with flour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C 430°F/gas mark 7 and also preheat the baking tray. Meanwhile, melt the butter and oil in a small saucepan, then brush the cakes on both sides with it. Place the cakes on the tray and then put it on the top shelf for 15 minutes. Carefully turn the cakes over using a palette knife and a fork and return them to the middle shelf of the oven for a further 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 546
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 1.37 mg
- Fat: 37 g
- Saturated Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 32 g