The beauty of salads is that they are so easy and (usually) quick to prepare. It is very difficult to go wrong, since most of the time there is nothing to cook. What’s more you don’t need a lot of ingredients to put a salad together and if you don’t have the components to make your own salad dressing, you can simply reach out for a jar of mayonnaise or ready-made salad dressing. Yet again this is a more substantial salad that can also be served as a main course.
- 800g (2 lb) new potatoes
- 1 big bunch of salad leaves (of your choice), weighing at least 200g
- 200g (7 oz) feta cheese
- 80g (3 oz) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 60ml (¼ cup/2 fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 120ml (½ cup/4 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the new potatoes well by rubbing off the skins with a coarse cloth. Put them into a saucepan of boiling salted water. [For every 2½ litres (4 pints) of water add 5ml (1 tsp) of salt.] Boil until tender.[You can test them by using a fork. Their cooking time can be anything from 15 minutes to half an hour; it really depends on their size.] Drain, put the saucepan over a very low heat, with the lid partially uncovered, to allow the steam to escape and allow the potatoes get thoroughly dry, but do not allow them to get burnt. Their excess moisture will evaporate and the potatoes, if a good sort, should be perfectly mealy and dry. Put them to one side and wait for them to cool down. Depending on their size cut them into halves, otherwise quarters, or leave them whole if you prefer.
- Wash the salad leaves thoroughly, pat them dry and place them in a big salad bowl.
- Combine vinegar, mustard, sea salt and pepper in a bowl and slowly whisk in olive oil. Taste, and adjust accordingly. Drizzle it over the leaves, add the cooled potatoes, blocks of cheese and nuts, toss and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 518 mg
- Fat: 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 22 mg