Author: Michelle Minnar
- 15g (½ oz) shredded coconut
- 900g (2 lbs) whole, shell-on raw (shrimp) prawns
- 400ml (10 fl oz/1 can) coconut milk
- 2 stems lemon grass (white part only), finely chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 10ml (2 tsp) red chilli, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tamarind concentrate
- 10ml (2 tsp) fish sauce
- 5ml (1 tsp) soft brown sugar
- rind of 2 fresh limes
- With a sharp knife, score down the back of the shrimp. Remove the thin, digestive tract with the tip of the knife. Repeat with the rest of the prawns. Rinse the prawns under running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spread the coconut on an oven tray and toast it in a slow to 150°C/fan 130°C/300°F/gas mark 2 oven for 10 minutes, or until it is dark golden, shaking the tray occasionally.
- Combine the coconut milk in a frying pan and cook over medium heat until just boiling. Add the lemon grass, lime leaves and chilli; reduce the heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Add the tamarind, fish sauce and sugar and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes or until they turn pink. Sprinkle with coconut and lime rind just before serving with steamed rice or egg noodles.
- Don’t forget to provide a finger bowl and napkin for each diner.
- On the other hand, if you don’t like messy eating, you can peel the prawns first before cooking, which will make things easier.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 239.6
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 186.4 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.2 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 25.3 g
- Cholesterol: 172.3 mg