Learn how to make salt and chilli chicken and never order Chinese takeaway again! Read about the possible variations and how to serve this chilli chicken.
Salt and Chilli Seasoning
- 15ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 7.5ml (½ tbsp) caster sugar
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) Chinese 5 spice
- 10ml (2 tsp) crushed chilli flakes
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) garlic powder
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) ground ginger
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) ground white pepper
Salt and Chilli Chicken
- 500g (1lb) chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 60ml (4 tbsp) corn flour
- Oil, for frying
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 green peppers, washed and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 red chillies, washed and thinly sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) rice wine
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt and chilli seasoning
- Mix all the ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- Dunk the chicken in the egg white, then corn flour before deep frying.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the heat and drain on kitchen towel.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion, green pepper and chillies for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the rice wine and let it sizzle for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Add the chicken to the stir fry and season with the salt and chilli mixture.
- Serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!
- If you want to have your chicken to have a thick coating, use more egg and cornflour.
- Alternatively, you can shallow fry the chicken with less crispy but slightly healthier results.
- Feel free to add more of the seasoning if you prefer, but remember it’s quite salty!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 1244mg
- Fat: 18.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 44g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
Keywords: salt and chilli chicken, Chinese chicken recipe, how to make salt and chilli chicken tutorial, salt and pepper chicken