Spring is in the air and what better way to celebrate than with a salad? Fried, warm, cold or in pâtés; I like my versatile chicken liver in all shapes and sizes.
Usually I underestimate the richness of this lovely offal and put more on my plate I could ever consume in one sitting. The leftovers tend to be cling filmed and placed in the fridge where I would snack on a piece or two every few hours.
Soy and honey is my favourite combination and literally goes with just about everything. When the livers are fried with this sauce it is truly magical and will spruce up any boring salad.
Love chicken livers? Check out this chicken liver pate!Print
A light and nutritious chicken liver salad with soy and honey dressing. Add fresh cherry tomatoes for a tasty Asian combination. For extra Asian flavours, add some drops of sesame oil.
- 120g (4 oz) salad leaves, washed and torn
- 20 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 250g (9 oz) chicken livers, washed and cleaned
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- salt and pepper
- Divide the salad leaves and tomatoes evenly between four plates.
- Drain the chicken livers in a colander and shake off as much juice as possible.
- Heat the two oils in a large frying pan.
- When the oil is really hot, place the chicken livers in the pan. Move the pieces around with a wooden spoon often to sear them on all sides.
- When the livers have been browned all over, add the soy sauce, lower the heat and make sure the pieces get covered in this salty seasoning.
- After 5 minutes, add the honey and do the same as you did with the soy sauce.
- Simmer the livers until all trace of pink is gone from the centres.
- Lift the pieces out one-by-one with tongs and place them on the four beds of salad.
- Stir the left over sauce in the pan and drizzle over each salad carefully.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.
- Some people like their chicken livers faintly pink. If you’re one of them, reduce the cooking time slightly.
- If you’re not a fan of salads, serve the chicken livers with any form of potato or even rice!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 8.8 g
- Sodium: 779 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
- Protein: 9.2 g