Make this sweet potato and red pepper soup in just a few simple steps. Jazz it up with spices and spin it in any direction you want. Consider coconut milk.
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 600g (1½lb) peeled sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, washed and cut into chunks
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 600ml (1pt) vegetable stock
- 5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
- cream [optional]
- cayenne pepper [optional]
- finely sliced spring onions, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F/gas mark 6.
- Arrange the onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and peppers in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 35 minutes. If everything isn’t cooked and tender, cook them for another 10 minutes.
- Place the vegetables with the stock and smoked paprika in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
- Return the soup to a pan to heat through, then serve with a splash of cream, cayenne pepper and spring onions.
- Category: Starter
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 11.9g
- Sodium: 152mg
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 33.2g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 1mg