- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 600g (8 thick) venison sausages
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 250g (8 oz) mushrooms
- 180g (6 oz) cooked chestnuts
- 250g (8 oz) cooked lentils
- 125ml (½ cup) beef stock
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
- 30ml (2 tbsp) cider vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 3 sprigs of thyme [optional]
- Fry the sausages on a high heat in the oil in a large saucepan until browned on all sides.
- Add the shallots and lower the heat.
- Once the shallots have softened, add the mushrooms and continue to stir everything until the mushrooms are almost cooked.
- Next add the chestnuts, lentils, stock, puree, vinegar, honey and thyme.
- Turn up the heat and let the casserole bubble away while stirring vigorously.
- After around 5 minutes, most of the liquid would have evaporated and thickened.
- Serve with sweet potato mash.
- Different types of vinegars can be used, such as sherry and balsamic.
- For some darker flavours substitute the stock with red winer.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 642
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 816 mg
- Fat: 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.9 g
- Fiber: 22.1 g
- Protein: 53.1 g