- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 400g (1lb) peeled potatoes, sliced
- 750ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
- 150g (5oz) watercress, washed
- Double cream, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in the butter and oil, in a large saucepan, until softened.
- Add the potatoes and stock to the onion mixture.
- Place the lid on the pot and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the watercress, give it a stir and let simmer for about 1 minute until the green have just wilted.
- Remove from the heat, pour the contents in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve with a dash of cream.
- Be careful not to overcook the watercress. It’s got a robust taste but physically it’s a delicate ingredient.
- The potatoes help thicken the soup and also mellows the bite of the watercress. Use less potato if you want a stronger watercress flavour to come through.
- If the soup’s consistency is too thick for your liking, add more vegetable stock or water.
- Substitute the butter with oil to make the soup completely vegan.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 75 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg