Celeriac can be a great alternative to potatoes if you’re trying to lower your carbs. This Celeriac Gratin is simple to make and only needs a few ingredients.
- 1 celeriac
- 25g (2 tbsp) butter
- 225g (½lb) shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 300ml (1¼ cup) double cream
- 300ml (1¼ cup) milk
- 100g (4oz) cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / 355°F / gas mark 4.
- Preparing the celeriac: Peel the celeriac then slice it as thinly as possible. I used a food processor to get the job done in a jiffy. Set aside.
- Preparing the Sauce: Melt the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the shallots for 15 minutes until softened.
- Add the thyme, cream and milk. Bring to a boil. Once a boiling point has been reached, immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- Layering the gratin: Use a 23cm x 15cm x 6cm (9 x 6 x 2.5in) ovenproof dish. Spoon a layer of shallots and sauce into the bottom of the dish and spread out the shallots.
- Arrange a layer of celeriac on top, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Add another layer of sauce over the celeriac.
- Repeat this process until you end up with a layer of celeriac at the top, then cover abundantly with the remainder of the cheese (or simply use more).
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour in the oven.
- At this point, the vegetables should be tender and you’re now aiming for that golden, crispy topping everyone yearns for. So crank up the oven’s temperature to max and keep a keen eye on it. It should take about 15 minutes to reach the desired texture and colour.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- After the celeriac is peeled, you should have around 450g (1lb) of flesh to work with, which is sufficient for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: celeriac gratin recipe, keto celeriac gratin, celeriac side dish recipe, celeriac recipe, christmas side dish, celery root gratin